Pookie

Thursday, September 2, 2010

There is a Reason

So I love Caedmon's Call. They are one of the few music groups out there that continually comes out with songs that speak to the core of both my joys and my struggles. I don't know what it is, but I feel like I can seriously illustrate my life with a series of Caedmon's Call songs. I remember like it was yesterday driving around Shawnee, Oklahoma with my good friend singing "Table for Two" at the top of our lungs, reminding ourselves that our prince charmings were out there and that God would bring them to us in good time. And there's about a million other examples just like that one.

About a year ago, I was in Singapore doing some training for our work in China. It had been the first time in around 2 years that I had had any access to Christian books, Christian music, etc. and I went a little crazy in that little bookstore. :) My favorite discovery of the day was the realization that Caedmon's call had come out with a new album! I realized later that it actually wasn't new at all, but it was certainly new to me anyway! And, even better, this album marked the unexpected return of Derek Webb to the band (I discovered in his absence that he is my favorite part of the band... didn't realize until I went to a show where they wouldn't play any of the songs he wrote that he is actually responsible for ALL of my favorites!) Anyway, I purchased the "Overdressed" album and happily carried my contraband back across the border.

So fast forward to today. I went grocery shopping this morning and a particular Caedmon's song came on the radio. And I found my life once again illustrated by their lyrics. I love the inherent theology in these lyrics, but more than that, I love the solace I find in them. Remembering that "...God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28 nasb) And suddenly I realized I was once again singing lyrics at the top of my lungs, declaring their truth over my life. (Glad my kid's not old enough to laugh at me yet!)

So I'd like to share the lyrics with you in hopes that they will encourage you like they did me. There's a time for everything, and no matter what season of life today finds you in, God is good. He is in control. He is sovereign. He knows the first page of the story and the last page of the story. And there is a reason for everything that He is doing. He's not leaving us hanging, He's working all things together for the good! Enjoy.

(P.S. I promise I won't include song lyrics in every post...) :)

"Late at night I wonder why, sometimes I wonder why
Sometimes I’m so tired I don’t even try
Seems everything around me fails
But I hold onto the promise that there is a reason

Late at night the darkness makes it hard to see
The history of the saints who’ve gone in front of me
Through famine, plague, and disbelief
His hand was still upon them
Cause there is a reason, there is a reason

He makes all things good
He makes all things good
There’s a time to live a time to die
A time for wonder and to wonder why
Cause there is a reason, there is a reason
There is a reason

I believe that God who sent who sent His only Son
To walk upon this world and give His life for us
With blood and tears on a long dark night
And know that he believed there is a reason
There is a reason

He makes all things good
He makes all things good
There’s a time to live a time to die
A time for wonder and to wonder why
Cause there is a reason, there is a reason
There is a reason

The lonely nights the broken hearts
The widow’s mite in the rich man’s hand
And the continent whose blood becomes a traitor
A child afraid to close their eyes
The prayers that seem unanswered
There is a reason, there is a reason

He makes all things good
He makes all things good
There’s a time to live a time to die
A time for wonder and to wonder why
Cause there is a reason, there is a reason
There is a reason."

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted beyond words that you are blogging...yay!!! I always love thoughts from you :)
    AND...I love your song lyrics. AND...I still have a copy of Yucky Love Stuff in my car. No, I never clean it out.

    ReplyDelete